I initially forgot a couple steps, very important. After you've
recorded your "stereo" file with each track/side in the left and
right channels, you need to select the entire file and copy it to the
clip board and paste it into another window, one which is mono so the
sound will be in the center. OOPS, sorry about that.
You can do all the processing if you wish first before you do the
pasting into your mono file, but it is important if you can, to put
markers while the initial recording is being made when the cassette
sides end so you can find them in an 8 side file, for example, which
is just about the limit for fat32 (at 44,100Hz at 16bit stereo), if
you use that format on your hard drive. So, let's say you've recorded
your stereo file, 2 cassettes long which is about 3 hours, (probably
2:56 or so), select it all, then paste it into your mono file. First,
the left channel, then the right channel. When you reverse the right
channel, after you've done that, your 11 hour file will look like
this; again after you've sampled down to 22,050Hz in mono, side 1, 2,
5, 6, 7, 8, 3, 4, (from least to most time, left to right. I label
each region paying very close attention to the narrator so the
numbers coincide, but I don't keep him saying "side 2, side 3, etc.
and also I don't keep, "this book is up to 4 sides per cassette, or
"so many pages on so many sides," in digital format, (again just my
opinion, it is not needed, and, "to skip such and such in this book,
fast forward until a beep is heard, stop at that point to hear x x x,
or the beginning of the book."
The markers, though you made them going forward, after you've
reversed the right channel, the markers will be close to where the
"reversed" sides begin' or' end, but you'll have to hunt a bit. Make
new markers at the beginning and end of where you wish to create your
regions, so in that way if the left or right end of the region area
gets lost or unselected, you can readily find it again.
I just recorded, finished, "Undue Influence," by Steven Martini
tonight, while the Rose Bowl was going on, GO TEXAS! :) They did win,
during side 10 about 30 minutes before I finished the initial
recording before processing.