but the next step will require another application to convert that
wave audio to FLAC, nothing that an Apple Script cannot automate of
course.

On 19/07/2007, at 5:32 AM, Kevin Lloyd wrote:

Hi Gordon.

You won't lose any quality converting from WAV to apple lossless.
Assuming
that you then have all ID3 tags intact, if you can find a program to
convert
from apple lossless to FLAC or lossless WMA, then again there won't
be any
loss in quality.

Regards.

Kevin
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----- Original Message -----
From: "G. McFarlane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PC audio discussion list. " <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: Putting LP's on the Computer

> Hi
> I have just a query based on your reply.
> I ripped all my large record collection to wav before I realised
> that the
> ID
> tags would not be preserved. I did so in ITunes and so because the
> Tags
> are
> in the library all the details remain. If I export to any of the
> Itunes
> formats supported than the tags go with it however if I try to use
> an;y
> other program only the name of the song and artist are copied from
> the wav
> file.
> My question is: I can use the Apple lossless codec in itunes to
> keep the
> wav
> lossless, or can I? Would this conversion result in a loss of quality,
> however small, converting from wav to Apple? Alternatively is it
> possible
> add formats to Itunes so that the wav files might be exported from
> Itunes
> with their tags, ideally like a flec or lossless windows media format?
> Thanks for any response.
> Gordon McFarlane

>>> schemes.  You will want to record your collection as wave files.
>>> Any
>>> compression scheme results in lost quality which is noticeable by
>>> people
>>> who
>>> really appreciate listening to music.
>>>     You can record at most any quality you like.  CD quality is good
>>> enough
>>> for most people.  You can record with higher quality but I dare
>>> say that
>>> most people could never tell the difference.  If you want better
>>> than CD
>>> quality then you may need to get a new sound card. but then again
>>> maybe
>>> your
>>> Sound Blaster does support some of the higher quality
>>> specifications.  I
>>> would stick with my Sound Blaster.  There are purportedly better
>>> sound
>>> cards
>>> on the market for this purpose.  But the fact is that analogue to
>>> digital
>>> converters are very well understood these days and even the cheap
>>> sound
>>> cards have good ones.
>>>     It doesn't matter what program you use.  If two programs
>>> record at
>>> the
>>> same sampleing frequency and the same bit resolution then the two
>>> applications will give identical results.  The magic is in the sound
>>> card.
>>> The recording program only needs to support the capabilities of the
>>> sound
>>> card.  I make my recordings at CD quality, 44,100 Samples Per
>>> Second and
>>> bit
>>> resolution of 16 bits per sample in Stereo.  Any sound card and
>>> most any
>>> recording program will support this.  I use Sound Forge.  Many other
>>> blind
>>> users prefer Goldwave.
>>>     I have found that brand name doesn't say much about a disk
>>> drive.  I
>>> have had my worse luck with Sea Gate and my best luck with no name
>>> brands.
>>>     There are USB turntables and cassette players that would be
>>> handy
>>> for
>>> lot of people to use in getting their music collections on to the
>>> computer.
>>> These systems are good enough for most of the people most of the
>>> time.
>>> However you are obviously something of an audio-phile so I would
>>> stick
>>> with
>>> my turntable and preamp.
>>>
>>>               Jerry
>>>
>>> Chirp|Chirp|Chirp: It's the Bat, Chirping Bat .Com
>>> ! Edirol R-09: high quality portable stereo Secure Digital Audio
>>> recorder
>>> with USB, $359.00, includes delivery within the USA, add $35.00
>>> outside,
>>> www.chirpingbat.com/edirol.shtml
>>> ! DEC-TALK USB: $650.00, includes delivery within the USA, add $35
>>> outside,
>>> www.chirpingbat.com/dectalkusb.shtml
>>> ! J-Say 4.0 without Naturally Speaking: $650.00,
>>> www.chirpingbat.com/j-say.shtml
>>> ! Window Eyes 6.0: $895, includes delivery in the USA,
>>> www.ChirpingBat.Com/windoweyes.shtml
>>> ! Triple Talk: USB $450, PCI $350, includes delivery within the
>>> USA, add
>>> $35
>>> outside, www.ChirpingBat.Com/tripletalk.shtml
>>> ! Sound Forge 9.0 with CD Architect 5.2 and Noise Reduction 2.0:
>>> $250,
>>> includes delivery within the USA, add $35 outside,
>>> www.ChirpingBat.Com/soundforge.shtml
>>> ! We accept PayPal All Major Credit Cards, money orders, checks,
>>> wire
>>> transfers, etc.
>>> We ship Internationally.  Click to convert our prices into your
>>> currency
>>> at:
>>> www.xe.com/ucc/full.shtml
>>>
>>> Reach BA Software in the United States at:
>>> Phone: 1-518-572-6092 weekdays, 1-518-359-8538 other, Email:
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED], Skype name adirondackbat, WWW:
>>> www.ChirpingBat.Com
>>>

>>> Audio List Help, Guidelines, Archives and more...
>>> http://www.pc-audio.org

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>> http://www.pc-audio.org

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> --
>> This email has been verified as Virus free
>> Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net

******************************

Dane Trethowan

 From Melton Victoria Australia

Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

phone uk 0121 288 4976

Phone/tty (+61 3) 9747 975

Fax +61 3 9743 7954

mobile/sms: +61425 777 508

Skype: callto:grtdane12

MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Join the fight against spam!  Have your ISP enable client/server authentication.