Okay Jim,

Are you actually typing that?  With the period in front of it which it looks
like you have two periods which should only be one period.   So there might
be a mistake I will right it out for you and please try the command this
way.
./tools/configure

What you are actually doing on this step now that I see it Jim is okay the
script you need to run is under the Tools subdirectory  that's what the
/tools is and the /configure is actually the command or script you are
running.  The period in this case means a hidden file or folder.

Scott