First, the hard ware, plugging whatever source into the computer.
If you've a receiver, (amp and tuner combination) which your cassette
machine is plugged into already, the tape outputs into your computer with
suitable plugs. Probably, one eighth stereo mini male, to two RCA type male
on the other end of the cord, will do the trick. Plug the one eighth mini
into the line input of your computer, high level, since that is what you
want. Plug the other end of the cords two RCA type plugs into the receiver
or even the stereo cassette machine.
Of course, you can use a mixer board so you won't have to keep unplugging or
re-plugging, but I am making an assumption that you are beginning to do this
and so therefore, getting you started is my goal and intention.
If you're needing to use another type cassette like an NLS player, a cord
with stereo mini plugs on each end will do the trick, using the output from
the cassette machine into the input of your sound card, high level, not
microphone.
The rest is software, and so much variation is possible e.g. which editor to
use, volume control in the computer, how to do all of the interfacing, etc.
etc. It can be complex as your experience allows, or not too hard such as
this;
download cdex, install it. There is an option to record directly from your
sound card inside the program so you can use that. Become familiar with the
menus inside cdex.
Volume control: that's another topic, but you must go into volume control
and select recording and change which checkbox controls the "line input" or
similarly named port of your sound card and then, you might be ready to
attempt to record. Experiment, experiment, experiment, trying different
levels and different bit rates within Cdex, etc.
This is one way. Another is to buy or download a demo of a sound editor like
Gold Wave, or Sound Forge, or Studio Recorder, the later is deliberately
friendly to the blind with audible meters for overload protection, among
features which are bent toward the spoken word like talking books, etc.
Sound Forge is an expensive editor, but it combines the best noise reduction
in the industry to my way of thinking, or if not the best it is way way up
there, with editing similar to handling text documents. Gold Wave is very
nice also, and is only $50, and there are tutorials readily available for
it, and many people on this list use it so any questions you may have can be
readily answered here, or on the Gold Wave list where it is discussed at
length. There is a Studio Recorder list as well, and a Sound Forge list too.
And, there are many other editors, and I am sure there will be a flurry of
recommendations from people on the list of their favorites and why.
I hope this gives you an idea as to what to do and what to become familiar
with. Don't forget, particularly, the windows volume control. If you're
going to do a lot of fiddling with that, be sure and download quick mix, a
small program which function it is to save your volume control settings so
you can easily recall them without fiddling again. It is available at:
http://www.jfwlite.com/programs
and since you may want settings saved for microphone, line input, what you
hear (type of setting not the actual name in your sound card likely but
descriptive of it's capability), you can adjust and save settings for all
these as kind of buttons to punch. I have probably 6 configurations of
volume control saved in a folder called quick mix on my desk top so I need
only open that folder and hit one when I need it and bingo, volume control
settings implemented instantly for what I've labeled the quick mix files
e.g. microphone with monitor, microphone without monitor, line in with
monitor, etc. etc.
I hope this helps a little.

Curtis Delzer

W B 6 H E F