I also have dish HD DVR. We received a message across the screen a few weeks
ago when my wife booted it up stating newer features now available and advised
we connect via network port on the back. I don't have a router as of yet, but
once I get one, I will experiment more to see if we blind folk could then
access other features via our comps and the set top box...
Maybe I should contact tech support to inquire of the features via the ethernet
port on the back of the box...

Best Regards,
Cornell