Hi everyone!
Perhaps people on this list have had to deal with this situation.
I have a collection of DAT tapes here so its time to sort through them
all an sample what needs to be sampled to the computer and call it
quits.
I sold my original Denon DAT recorder some 10 years ago and I'm glad I
did because I got a great price for it then. I purchased a replacement
Tascam dm-30 MKII a few days ago for a very reasonable sum and I'm
impressed with what it does so here's the problem. My computers (Apple
Macs) have fibre optic digital in and out (the type you'll see say on
a minidisc recorder where the 3.5MM input and output audio jacks
double as digital input and output audio jacks). The DAT recorder has
either XLR digital in and out or RCA digital in and out, not quite
appropriate for what I need. So can a conversion box be built or
bought perhaps to overcome this problem? If need be then I'll look at
getting another sound device and (if I have to) use the trashbox (PC)
<smile> to do the sampling if I have to use some sort of PCI card for
the sound device, does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps there's an
external device of some sort which plugs into USB or firewire which
will accept digital optical in and out and will work with a Mac as
well as a PC.
Thanks in Advance

Dane Trethowan
 From Melton Victoria Australia