Hi everyone!
Ok (as surprising as this may sound to a lot of people) I'm a novice
with the PC technology (or trashbox as I prefer to call it <smile.)
these days so I'd appreciate some input from other list members here.
I've spoken about my DAT and I intend to get the digital converter
that someone on this list kindly gave me the name of, I found it still
in stock in some of the shops here so I've placed an order.
The discussion has also prompted me to look at a new sound device for
the Trashbox, I've used (up until now) SB Live cards, the Realtek ac97
built-in sound device on the Mother Board of the Trashbox and the Imic
sound devices, all have performed to my expectations but now however,
well I'm stepping into unfamiliar teritory as I want to purchase a
sound card with digital i/o capabilities but on the other hand I want
it to be as accessible with speech as is practical, I'm told that many
of the new sound devices on the market have volume controls which
differ from the standard windows volume controls, is this correct?
I briefly looked at the catalogue displayed by my local computer store
on the net http://www.istore.com.au and looked at the Creative brand,
there's no shortage of sound devices there it would seem but which one
to buy? Should I in fact steer clear of Creative completely and go for
something else?
Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
As a footnote to this, my Trashbox is approaching its fifth birthday
so I'm wanting something which will be compatible with my current
Trashbox and will be compatible with a new Trashbox which I plan to
purchase in about 6 months all being well. Of course! if the device
should be compatible with the Mac then that's a bonus but that's
something that I don't class as a priority.
Thanks In Advance

Dane Trethowan
 From Melton Victoria Australia
Phone +613 9747 3975