Dane,

A couple of years ago, I wanted to obtain excellent audio at a reasonable
price.  After sifting through years worth of messages on this list and that
of blind tech, the consensus from the enlightened and informed was the
Audiophile 2496 sound card from M-Audio.  The card includes the Delta audio
interface.  My aim was to increase the sound quality of the music I listen
to using my computer and to also feed voice recordings from the community
recorded with a minidisc recorder into it.  My research and decision was
confirmed by a conversation I had with Tom McCann, proprietor of Dancing
dots.  tom created a really nice web page, sorting out the sound card issue
for blind musicians.  It can be found at:

http://www.dancingdots.com/prodesc/soundcards.htm

When I bought the Audiophile 2496 a couple of years ago, it was the sound
card installed in his superduper audio recording workstation.  I bought two
sound cards from tom and his Dancing Dots business, whose price was
competitive with vendors on the Internet.

My techie who I originally found on Craigslist came by one weekend and
installed the sound cards on two computers as well as the Delta audio
interface.  He also adjusted JAWS so it used the computer's onboard sound
card on one of the machines.

The sound quality is excellent with a greater depth and clarity than what I
thought possible from a computer sound card.  It is especially bright and
clear when playing audio in 24 bit mode in Winamp.  the card is quiet,
producing no background noise at regular sound levels.  I decided not to go
with the Creative cards, including the Audigy, after reading many end user
experiences of mediocre quality and a relatively high noise floor compared
to the Audiophile 2496.  I had used the SoundBlaster card with my DOS
machines in the 1990s and with my first Windows machine this decade.  End
users spoke about a good, but not truly great sound from Audigy cards and
there were a fair number of reports of enough quantization noise  that it
posed a real irritation for some.  I did not find these reports from
Audiophile 2496 end users though.  While I was comfortable with Creative
products, I wanted a device to take me to the next level in audio quality
from a computer's on board sound card or a SoundBlaster.  I came to realize
that an Audigy would not fully take me to this new place of high quality
audio that I had never been before.

The drawback to this card and most of the M-Audio cards is that they are
intended to be used with either a mixer or microphone pre-amplifier.  There
is no microphone input on this and most M-audio cards.  Also, all the
complaints on all the online forums about the documentation and learning
curve of the Delta audio interface are absolutely true and accurate.  the
interface is complex and the documentation is skimpy and poorly worded.  I
read through the manual about five times before fully understanding it.  In
my day job, I read through lengthy and complicated policy and program
documents all the time so a software manual is hardly a challenging
undertaking.  Yet, I was on my fifth reading when I did a sentence by
sentence analysis of the manual when I finally got it, which was about
after two or three days of staying focused on this device.  I knew I could
call tom of Dancing dots with some questions but I first had to know enough
to formulate a question!

the trickiest part was configuring the card for recording.  both the card
and the mixing sections in the Delta interface needed to be configured
properly for audio input from the card's line in jacks to be recorded
properly.  In the end, I now easily obtain broadcast quality recordings
with many complements.

For those like me who work in a corporate environment or large government
agency here in the United States, being able to use a Mac with voice Over
is a near impossibility.  rather than learn two operating systems, I use
Microsoft Windows exclusively as do hundreds of millions of others
throughout the world.  This serves me well with quality audio output and
very good audio recording and editing options.

Kelly