I ran into this problem a couple of months ago.  When i spoke with
Dell tech support he told me There were some bad registry files that
cause the CD drive to fail after a while.  If you go to the link I
posted below and look for "download guided help" this should fix the
problem.  This is based on Microsoft support article 314060.  Hope this helps.

Terese

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

>Ok my computer is about 6 years old. I got it in 2002. it's a dell. When I
>put dvds in to play, sometimes they play and sometimes they don't. And I
>don't know why. I have a lidian dvd rom drive. I just put a dvd in to play
>it and the drive spins for a little like it's trying to recognise the drive
>or the disc in the drive then just stops. I also tried holding down shift
>while I closed the drive tray and still nothing. But the dvd played a few
>days ago. I think it's time for a new computer soon, unless someone elsehas
>another opinion or ideas?
>
>Josh
>
>email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>msn: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>skype: jkenn337
>email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>msn: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>skype: jkenn337
>

>Audio List Help, Guidelines, Archives and more...
>http://www.pc-audio.org

>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>http://www.eset.com

Terese Ann Goren
Visit our blog at http://brightspotks.livejournal.com/
Looking for a way to relax? Just say spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Visit my webpage @ www.beautipage.com/Terese
Vote for our song "I'll See You There"  on American Idol Underground
visit http://www.idolunderground.com/tereseann

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some
kind of battle."