With all true respect, while I agree with your facts, I have to disagree
at least in part with your conclusions. When compared with other
similarly-sized/purposed devices, i.e. other notetakers, cellphones,
etc., the Stream comes out remarkably well in terms of audio quality.
Certainly if you compare it to, say, the Book Port, the quality
improvement is astounding.

The audio format the Stream uses is not proprietary, it is just
extremely rare. There are other utilities that will convert Stream sound
files, utilities that existed before the Stream did.

I've found that, if positioned correctly, even the Stream's built-in
mike does a podcast-quality recording.

Bruce

On Fri, 09 May 2008 10:08:39 -0500, "Larry Higgins"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> I just received my VRStream yesterday, and I was a little
> disappointed in the quality of recording, at least from the built in
> mic. Haven't had a chance to try it with an external mic. The
> microphone's level of sensitivity isn't adjustable or configurable.
> In other words, if you want quality for other than taking off handed
> notes for yourself   you will need to invest in another product. The
> audio reproduction isn't good enough for Podcasting <g>.
>
> As for file formatting, it uses it's own proprietary format. Of
> course you can convert these to .wav with their conversion utility
> within the Stream Companion software, but you will have to reconvert
> them to .mp3 via another option such as Goldwave, or Cdex. And no, it
> will not record in stereo, not even with a stereo mic. It's purpose
> for offering recording capability is clearly stated, for taking personal
> notes.
>
> You could probably use the mic for recording meetings or lectures,
> but it would help to not be an a room with lots of reverb, or
> background noise.
>
> At 06:38 AM 5/9/2008, you wrote:
> >What are the recording capabilities and formats of the
> >Victor Stream?  Is it only voice quality or can it record in higher quality
> >and stereo?
> >

> >Bob
> >

> >Audio List Help, Guidelines, Archives and more...
> >http://www.pc-audio.org
> >
> >To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank email to:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> >__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
> >signature database 3089 (20080509) __________
> >
> >The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
> >
> >http://www.eset.com

  Bruce Toews