I am writing on behalf of a friend who is not subscribed to this
list.
I doubt that this is relevant, however, he uses some version of
Winamp for playing his mp3 files.

My friend notes that occasionally there will be a change in the
names of some mp3 files to dos file conventions, that is, no more
than eight characters followed by a period and the mp3 extention.
These 8-character names terminate with a tilde followed by a
number which is why I characterized it as a dos file naming
convention.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency to this.  He can recall
no specific event which seems to precipitate this.

So I am wondering whether anyone on this list has experienced
this.  If so, what is its cause and what is the solution?

Thanks in advance.

Don Roberts

Jonathan Mosen List Founder