From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org]
On Behalf Of Ray
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:02 AM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: dasy software packages?

Hi.

Only got general recommendations and links to offer in your persuit of of
DAISY creation software, but hope it helps.

First off: the DAISY org site which will tell you a lot about the various
software packages and hardware options:

http://tinyurl.com/8zgfqd

Second, Brian Hartgen is the source of much knowledge here in the UK,

The last mentioned software package on this page, the Book Wizzard by A P H,
is, I think, free, and seems to be highly regarded by some.
www.hartgen.org

A final thought:  the PTR2 CD/CF card recorder is a pretty easy to use
solution enabling pretty painless conversion in one box.  There is a list,
on Freelists I think, the PtR1 users list for this equipment.  (Don't be put
off by the name;  it was started back in the days of the PTR1, but most
discussion there is/is around the PTR2 successor.

AS for sample rate and bit rate conversion, not sure if you will find much
support for that within the DAISY creation software packages, and I would in
any case personally look to Goldwave, Sound Forge, Studio recorder for this
and the audio processing optionsfacilities you might want.

HTH,
Ray.

goshawk wrote:
hello list,
I have recently got a portable daisy talking book player, and would like to
start making my own daisy book disks, from my own audio library.
please can anyone recommend a good fully featured daisy creating software
package? it needs to be fully accessible, using window-eyes.

the package needs to be fully featured, as I would like to make the disks
fully navigable, as I will probably put several books, radio series, or
audio described film audio tracks, on to one disk, and would like to be able
to select which book or series I want, and easily navigate my way around
that book or series, by chapter or episode, or if a particular series had
several seasons of it, I would like to be able to navigate by series,
season, or episode. I hope I have explained that ok. however, just to make
things interesting, the audio books in my library, are all formatted
differently, as there are some, that have only as many files, as there were
tapes or cds in the original, there are some, that have been taken from cd,
with each track on each cd being a file, and there are some, that have just
been formatted as a single big file for the whole book.

also, the stuff I have, has not all been encoded at the same bit rate, and I
have had problems with some mp3 disks before, that will play perfectly in
mp3 cd players, dvd players, and my computer, but when I try to play them in
my talking book machine, it says something like "audio format not supported"
even though they are mp3 files, and I would like the software package to be
able to sort this out if possible, as it is probably something simple, such
as re-encoding the mp3 files, in a bit rate that the talking book machine
will handle.

it would also be quite useful, if the package could have some equaliser,
volume boosting, sound enhancement, and unwanted noise removal tools. as
some of the stuff I have, either because it was taken from very old
recordings, was recorded at too lower level on one or both channels, or
encoded at too lower bit rate, doesn't sound that good, which is something,
that I would really like to improve if possible, before making daisy disks
of it.

it would also be nice, if the package could actually record directly from a
line or digital in, as I still have a lot of stuff on tape, dat, and
minidisk. and if it could also take audio from standard audio cds, which I
could use the drive in the computer to read, it would be even better.

finally, if possible, I would like the package, to be able to work with
different audio formats, as not all the stuff in my library is in mp3
format, some of it is in .ogg, some in .wma, some in standard uncompressed
.wav, and some in a form of compressed .wav format. I think it is going to
be a bit much, to expect the software to work with things like free lossless
audio codec, and monkeys audio files, but if the daisy software package
could also use existing audio codec's, even this could be possible.

Simon Wilkes,
e-mail,
dj.gosh...@ntlworld.com
skype name,
dj-goshawk
windows live id,
goshawk-on-horseback
goshawk-on-horseb...@live.co.uk
cb call,
goshawk
phone,
02082200261, +442082200261 if outside of UK,
mobile, (voice or text)
07957880038, +447957880038 if outside of UK.

Jonathan Mosen List Founder

Jonathan Mosen List Founder