Greetings fellow audio lovers.  I am new to the list and I have a question
for those of you who use Jaws and Goldwave.  I have been successfully
recording from external devices, mostly cassette players, into Goldwave via
an external device called an "Inport" made by Xitel.  Wires run from my tape
deck into the small Inport device, which contains its own sound card,
then into a USB port on my pc.   To avoid having the sound cards clash, I
would have to add a new line of text to the Jaws ini file that told Jaws
that the synthesizer port was my pc sound card.  I then had to check the
"use default only" box in the sounds control panel.  I would restart the pc,
start up Goldwave, start recording on a new file, hit the play button on the
external device, and get an mp3 file for my efforts!

This was cumbersome, especially having to worry about clashing sound cards.
But it worked for 2 years.  Well, I recently upgraded from Jaws 7 to Jaws 9.
Now every time I go through this procedure, I get a Jaws application error.
It knocks Jaws out so that I can't get more details as well.  The last thing
I hear is "Jaws application error, a message is being sent.,"
then the sound is gone!  Once in a while, I manage to save some recorded
sound in Goldwave, but it contains that bonking noise that you hear when you
have done something Windows doesn't like.  Something is definitely up.  I
have tried work arounds such as turning off Jaws once I hit the play button
on the external device, but to no avail.  Things seem to go fine right up
until I send sound in from the external device.  I have tried every
permutation I can think of; making sure the sound cards are either the one
in the pc, or the Inport one in Goldwave and the control panel.  I am
getting to the point of giving up.  I wonder if there is a better way of
doing this.
Surely there must be other folks using Jaws, Goldwave, and recording sounds
from external devices.  What do you all use?  I have tried googling key
words to see what others might use, but no luck so far.  Rick Harmon, the
Blind Geek Zone master, recommended that I contact the PC Audio group.  You
all sound very knowledgeable and I really hope that you can point me in the
right direction.  Perhaps there are ways that avoid using more than one
sound card?  Let me know what you think.

Most Sincerely,

Peter A. Smith
Boston and now Charleston

Jonathan Mosen List Founder