Are there stuff you can't run on Zen Stone that you can with the Ipod Nano?

Sincerely,

Lauren ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Chaltain" <cchalt...@austin.rr.com>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: mp3 players best for totally blind people

As others have said the Zen Stone is an off the shelf portable media player that, since it doesn't have a display is totally accessible. I use this myself, especially for proprietary and protected formats, such as Audible, Overdrive and DRM.

Rockbox is a firmware replacement for portable media players that has an eyes free mode which makes it accessible. It's a little more work getting it up and running, and the newer players aren't supported, but once you get it working, you'll have talking menus, talking files and folders and potentially access to more storage than you'll get on the Zen Stone. You can find out the supported players and get more information from rockbox.org. I use this myself on two media players including one with a 30G hard drive.

A nice thing about the Zen Stone and Rockbox is that you won't have to use any particular software on the PC to copy music over to the player. You can just use Windows Explorer since the players will just show up as USB attached drives on your system.

The iPod Shuffle is similar to the Zen Stone since because it doesn't have a display, it's accessible. The iPod Nano 4th generation is also accessible and is similar in how it works to Rockbox. Getting the Nano talking is probably easier than installing Rockbox and getting it talking, but that's assuming you're going to use iTunes 8 to manage your music. I've played with the iPod's and followed developments regarding their accessibility, but I don't have one myself.

Finally, I should also say that I do listen to music and books on my Nokia N75 cell phone running Talks.

Marco Steinebach - Mardy wrote:
Hi Lauren,
if you talking about a hardware MP3 player I can suggest the "creative
zen stone 2 GB" model. It comes without a display, has a little
speaker and plays mp3 and wma files. You can have several folders and
load your music onto the player just as to a normal USB-Stick.
The price, in germany, is around 25,00 Euro.
I've got this one and I'm very satisfied with it!
Best regards
Marco

Hi,

Can you please suggest a MP3 player or Ipod that is best for a
totally blind person to operate? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Jonathan Mosen List Founder

Jonathan Mosen List Founder