Hi Ray,

Assuming that you've turned off the option to "select all if non sekected", as
described in the guide, then one or more tracks and a time range have to be
selected to select a portion of audio.

When you first open audacity, the focus should be the track table, so to move
to the spin boxes on the selection bar, press ctrl + f6 to move to the
selection bar, and then tab through the controls on the selection bar to find
the spin boxes.

If you've still having a problem with this, could you confirm that you using
version 1.3.7 of audacity, and let me know what screen reader you're using.
Pressing ctrl + f6 should cycle you round the toolbars, track table, and
selection bar - what is your screen reader reading back when you press ctrl +
f6 a few times? It should be something like: length radio button, pause button,
track view table, etc.

David.

original messages:

do I understand that the track has to be selected before a portion of audio can
be selected?

unfortunately, I'm not seeing the spin boxes referenced in the documentation.
What might I be
missing?