I never had much luck with that file type. thankfully, I haven't seen it around much but like you, all I could do was play them. I suppose you could always use the Winamp diskwriter plugin, but I didn't go there with it.

RA

On 5/14/2009 10:45 AM, Peter Alan Smith wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with m4a files?  Goldwave doesn't really like them.
My winamp player plays them but that's all I can do with them since I'm not
a mac or ipod person.

From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org]
On Behalf Of Rick Alfaro
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:00 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: converting an .m4b file to MP3 without using iTunes in Windows
XP

Hi, I was able to convert some m4b files to mp3 with GoldWave.

On 5/9/2009 1:47 PM, Ann wrote:
Hi folks,

Does anyone know how to convert an M4b, which is some kind of, I
think, Apple extension for audiobook to an mp3 file? I know that,
theoretically, iTunes can do this, but it doesn't work on my Windows
XP computer. i can use itunes to convert the file to every other
format, but when I try to convert it to MP3, iTunes crashes my
computer. I think the crash is somehow related to the fact that this
file is long, about 9 hours,only in one large file instead of split up
in to disks,and iTunes seems to be extremely processor intensive.

I have a 3 GHZ machine, with 1 GB of Ram,and tons of hard drive space
though not enough to comfortably convert it to .wav, and iTunes is the
only program that crashes so badly when trying to make MP3 files. It
also seems to be the only program I have that will open the file.

any advice would be appreciated. I've never had to work with an m4b
format before.

~Ann