An interesting thread and plenty of interfaces to go and take a look at.
Still, I have one question:  these may do what we want in terms of multimple
inputs or outputs, but how usable is the interface that comes with them?

I think myself that for multi-input work we really need an external mixer to
give line and mic inputs with hardware controls, going into a line-level
soundcard input.  Yes, an extra box, and a bit more cost, but if your needs
are modest then the cost can be low.

Ray

Tim Crawford wrote:
Hi Bue,

I'm using a little device here called the UD10.1 audio converter from Trends
audio.  It connects to your pc via usb, and has a variety of outputs
including both optical and coaxual s-pdif, XLR, and BNC.  The 3.5mm
headphone socket also doubles as a line output, and provides phono out by
means of a 3.5mm to RCA connector.

I have the ud-10.1 feeding a Beresford DAC, via the coax digital out, which
in turn connects to the amplifier with good quality rca interconnects.

My music files are in lossless flac format, and I am very happy with the
results, with sound quality being as good as, and probably better than my
Arcam Alpha 9 cd player.

I should say that the ud-10.1 is solely an output device, so if you wish to
record, another method would have to be considered.

Best regards,

Tim.