Thank you for these Ray.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org]
On Behalf Of Ray
Sent: 01 November 2009 19:15
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: RE: New member with some questions

David, as you want the video as well as the audio I guess replies here are
going to be fewer than if you wanted simply to extract audio.

I have found a Wiki article listing quite a few programs handling straight
ripping some restricted to unprotected formats, others claiming to be able
deal with protected ones.  (I'm not (Not wanting to encourage anyone to do
anything they shouldn't!)

Here's a list of some of these:

    * AnyDVD, a shareware Windows on-the-fly DVD decrypter (not an actual
ripper, works together with CloneDVD).
    * Emicsoft DVD Ripper, a Windows DVD decrypter for ripping any dvd to
hard
drive
    * Auto Gordian Knot, a freeware Windows DVD to Divx converter making all
the steps.
    * CloneDVD, proprietary DVD cloning software for Windows, able to back
up
non-copy-protected DVD movies.
    * Leawo DVD Ripper,Third-party DVD ripper and converter for Windows.
    * DVDx, open source for Windows.
    * DVD-Audio Explorer, a program for windows to rip tracks from DVD-Audio
protected and non-protected discs
    * DVD Decrypter, a freeware Windows DVD ripper, no longer in
development.
    * DVDFab HD Decrypter, a shareware DVD ripper for Windows.
    * DVD Shrink, a freeware Windows DVD ripper, no longer in development.
    * FormatFactory, a freeware Windows video converter that is also capable
of ripping DVDs to other digital video formats.
    * HandBrake, open source cross-platform DVD to MPEG-4 converter,
available
for BeOS, Mac OS X, Linux and Microsoft Windows, released under the terms
of the GNU General Public License.
    * K9Copy, open source DVD backup and DVD authoring program for Unix-like
operating systems.
    * MacTheRipper, another commercial ripper for the Macintosh.
    * RipIt, commercial ripper developed specifically for the Macintosh.
    * Smartripper, development ceased.
    * Thoggen, open source software for Linux within the GNOME project.
    * Aimersoft DVD Ripper, Professional DVD ripping software for both
Windows
and Mac.

More at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_ripper

It's for others to comment on how accessible these or other programs are.

One final thought, does Windows Media Player allow some copying of DVDs?
I'd
have thought none protected ones could be copied to HD with it.
Ray.

 David Halliwell wrote:
Thanks Ray,
I'm actually looking to rip DVDs to my PC rather than burning them.
The zen idea is a good one though, thank you for that
David