Not that there would have been a solution outside of reinstallation, that's just what I ended up doing, and the problem is now solved. Even tried restoring my system back to the 20th of this month, a day before making the apparent mistake, but lost sound altogether. I'm still trying to figure that one out. It looks as if something such as a driver file was removed or renamed, making it impossible for an ini file or a registry entry to correctly locate a driver or something. Anyway, I really sound like I'm on top of this one huh :). Anyway, what matters is that everything is once again working as it should. Just thought I owed you all that much in the way of an explanation anyway.

Thanks,

Larry