It would be interesting to hear that comparison. I truly believe it.
bb
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Kaufman" <tomca...@comcast.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: a question about joint stereo and normal stereo

Well Brett and list: To show you how it's gotten to be, I have a friend (great steel guitarist)..he recorded some songs..I guess it was fifteen years ago..maybe more..a few years ago, he put those tunes on a CD (along with some other stuff he'd done)..well I have a cassette tape of this one song (the click track is still on it)..but the tone of that steel just sounds so nice! Well when they put it on CD, although it's the same guy; same tune and all..it doesn't have that good, smooth tone as it has on that old cassette I have of him doing it! I remember him telling me that (and I've found this out for myself)..in the digital world, if you turn the volume down, it goes down to a point; then just cuts off! It's this way on my JVC stereo receiver; when it gets to a certain point, instead of the sound continuing to taper off, it just "cuts off completely!"
Tom Kaufman (aka Tomcat)