To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: a question about joint stereo and normal stereo

John,

Perhaps I shouldn't question an artifact you can check against, but the date makes no historical sense. Brian Wilson began formulating "good vibrations" some time during the "Pet Sounds" sessions. As an aside, you can hear stereo mixes of the rehearsals in the box set, "The Pet Sounds Sessions." The Pet Sounds LP wasn't released until May of 1966, and "good Vibrations" came out several months later.

No Beach Boys albums appeared in stereo up to that time because Brian Wilson was deaf in one ear and seems to have had complete control over production, which in every other way was a good thing. Surgery apparently restored some hearing in the deaf ear, and "Friends," three albums later, came out in stereo. In the past two decade, stereo remixes of Beach Boys material at their height have appeared in drips and drabs, the best being on that Pet sounds Sessions box set, which includes a wonderful stereo remix of the album itself.

Regarding the Beatles Stereo Set, something to keep in mind is that Capital's versions of the Beatles albums not only differed in content from those released in the UK, but the LPs were also, I believe, inferior in quality. The stereo set's "Sergeant Pepper's" is light years ahead of the US LP. I don't have the UK LP of that album. However, I have the UK "Beetles for Sale" LP, and it compares favorably with the stereo set version. Still, the stereo set is very well done, the sound is terrific, and the convenience of a CD undeniably surpasses that of an LP.