I've heard that others can use the digital player with other file types.
----- Original Message ----- From: "DJ DOCTOR P" <djdoct...@att.net>
To: "PC audio discussion list. " <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:52 AM
Subject: Ditgetel Talking Player Revisited

Hello List Members,
Below this message, is an email that was sent to me from someone at the Bureau of Brail and Talking Book Library in Daytona Beach Florida. Either she wasn't very clear with me on this, or she was just plane incorrect about it.
What she said was, the NLS player won't play any other files.
Don't take my word for it, se for yourself and tell me if I'm correct about this or not. I emailed her back and told her that other blind people myself included, have tested this player.
It can play MP3 and WAV files.
My best regards.
 John.
-----

Flash drive information:

Blank NLS digital cartridge

·       1G; holds approximately 92 hours of NLS books

·       Requires a cable to connect to your computer

· Advantages: Designed for NLS player; fits in cartridge slot; easier to insert/remove from machine

·       Sources  TBA

Flash drive

·       Also called jump drive, thumb drive

·       Fits in USB port on the side of the NLS machine

· Some brands work better than others; look for those without built-in U3 software. Brands we have found to work include:

o      Dane Elec

o      Verbatim

o      Lexar

o      Sony

o      PNY

o      Kingston

o      Ativa 8 gig

·       Look for 1G to 8G of memory; those with more memory may not work

· Advantage: Available locally at most discount, electronic, or department stores; can be found for $10-$15; available in larger sizes that hold more books

· The flash drive must contain only BARD books. The player will not read a drive with other file formats on it.