The cable is actually a standard USB extension cable. A commercial cable
will work. The problem is that the cartridge has to plug into the female end
of this cable, and the housing around the USB blog keeps it from physically
plugging into most commercial cables. Although it's a standard cable, and a
commercial cable will work, I'd suggest just getting a cable from ILA, APH
or Perkins. It'll be a bit more expensive, but you'll be sure it works.

Here's what it says at the BART Talk web site's FAQ at
http://www.bardtalk.com/faq.php:

9. How can I connect the DTB cartridge to my computer?
Answer: Any standard USB cable will work, as long as it is identified as an
extension cable. this means the cable must have a full size male USB plug on
one end, and a full size USB or female receptacle on the other. Companies
such as Independent Living Aids carry a short cable used for this purpose,
but
the cable is not a special cable and may be purchased at other locations.
The standard NLS cartridge appears to be smooth or flush where the female or
receptacle end of the cable attaches to the cartridge. With a little
practice,
attaching the female end of the USB cable to the cartridge will become
easier. When attaching a thumb drive to the NLS dtbm using a cable, a
shorter cable
is preferable since it will be less likely to snag on something and become
the means by which the NLS dtbm is yanked from its perch.

--
Christopher
chalt...@gmail.com