From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org
[mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:27 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: It's Still Stealing

I don't agree. Someone else on this list talked about the more famous
RIAA law suits, and to my knowledge none of these were directed against
blind individuals. I'm not aware of a single case where the NLS went
after a blind patron. Copy protection schemes implemented by Sony,
Apple, Audible and so on are not directed at the blind. Apple, Audible
and Overdrive content are all restricted to a certain set of players, or

used to be, and again this has nothing to do with the blind. I don't
think there's a double standard here.

I won't even go near the recliner analogy.

--

Christopher
chalt...@gmail.com

On 4/19/2010 12:17 PM, Frank Ventura wrote:
> What I meant (in case there is any confusion) is that a sighted person
> can break copyright law just as easily as a blind person but they
don't
> face the same restrictions as blind people do.  I thought I made that
> quite clear. Again I go back to the Lazyboy recliner analogy. A
sighted
> lending library does  not tell its patrons how they may read their
> borrowed material but BARD does go that extra step with blind people
> with its for profit players. The secondary and maybe far worse effect
of
> this double standard is that it makes blind people appear as if we are
> more prone to piracy then the general public.

But,
>> of course if I can't afford it, us as tax payers, would be glad to
fit
>> the bill for that LazyBoy.

NLS

>> and other companies and agencies need to take such action.
>>
>> Although I'm sure the vendor manufacturing the players is doing it
for

>> profit, I'm not sure how you know they're making tons of money
>>
> (whatever
>
>> that means). I also have no ideas what insentives you're talking
>>
> about.
>
>> If you're implying that kickbacks are involved then that's illegal
and

>> you should report that. I also don't see how the 3rd party players
are

>> raking in the dough from this, unless by providing this feature
>>
> they're
>
>> boosting their sales. I don't see anything wrong with that by the
way.

>> Christopher
>> chalt...@gmail.com
>>

>> On 4/19/2010 8:10 AM, Frank Ventura wrote:
>>
>>> If I walk into my local public library and check out a book the
>>> librarian doesn't tell me which room in my house I can or cannot
read
>>> the book in. However with BARD they restrict qualified persons as to
>>> which player the must use. The government is buying tons of those
new
>>> digital players and someone is making tons of money building and
>>>
>> selling
>>
>>> them to the government and someone in said government is receiving
>>> "incentives" to continue this practice? So does anyone not think it
>>>
> is
>
>>> all about money?

would
>>> call