To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: Best bitrate quality for hearing aid users?

Well really this is a very strange questions, I've been wearing digital hearing aids for 15 years and I'n now asking myself, why should encoding of sound be any different to those wearing hearing aids than for those who are not? By that I mean you encode the way you want and the way you like but one thing I do know when wearing good hearing instruments is that you want the best quality sound you can get. An audio engineer once recommended me use VBR quality and I did post instructions on how to set this up with LAME and what all the settings meant quite some time ago so I'm sure you'll find it if you look in the archives. Basically what you need to do is set the minimum bit rate to as low as possible and the maximum bit rate to as high as possible. There are 2 quality bit rates, the VBR bit rate will need to be changed according to what you're encoding but a good setting for music is "3", the lower the number then the less the encoder rejects from the encoding. If you set the VBR quality to "1" then you may as well use a lossless compression such as FLAC. Use Joint stereo.

Of course I'm referring to MP3 encoding with LAME here.