hello!
you can use audacity too.
but it   Diamond Cut  cost?
you can use audiograbber too
G. McFarlane skrev 2011-06-29 02:42:
Hi Dave
I've used quite a few packages for audio restoration in the past and each usually have their own forté. I've not tried Sound Forge and I know it has good reports about its noise reduction etc. One program I like for versatility - and it claims to be the best of its kind - is Diamond Cut 8 (DC8) available from
www.tracertek.com
I've usec versions 5, 6 & 7 and have had good results. When I recently upgraded to version 8 it became inaccessible, but with a call to the technical help people, they pointed out a feature which restored the interface to an earlier one and therefore made it accessible again. It has a wonderful variety of cleaners and enhancers - each with their own presets and fine tuning. Most of the boxes can be tabbed around and selections made. The latest version is slightly less accessible than Version 5 - you may have to use the Jaws cursor or the Window eyes equivalent to make some choices, but once you knowwhat you're looking for things do get easier. There are menus and keyboard shortcuts and results can be good. One limitation I've found with it is the navigation and selecting of parts of files. It's great to work on a whole file and noise reduce - if I wish to use part of a file then I edit it to size in Goldwave then import it into DC8 - although it's annoying to have to do so the results are probably worth it. There are one or two nice features in this program - there is an auto clean and enhance which works on the file dynamically as it is running, adjusting itself to the changes in the file. This can be fine tuned too. You can also chain various effects to get the best - they all work simultaneously. Also there is a great batch editor built in which allows all the filters etc. to be preselected and executed on a large number of files at a time.

When I upgraded recently, I also bought their small preamp which connects to the output of your turntable - it changes the inputted sound by applying a ria curve to get a more authentic sound. You then use the features in the program to clean up and enhance your file and reapply the correct ria curve and the sound is thought to be as good as you'll get at this level. I also bouth their DVDs on a variety of subjects, in cluding audio theory, cleaning 78s, vinyl and other media, etc. They can be 20 or 30 dollars each but when I purchased the 5 disks I was given them for 50 dollars, very much worthwhile for dealing with a steep learning curve. Some people may have other comments on this program but for my money it's probably one of the best in its range. I think there are good offers to be had on it from the website. It's a dedicated program for noise reduction and enhancement and with one or two other features thrown in. It also has a live function, in which any input can be filterd immediately live.
Hope this is of help.
Gordon McFarlane

-----Original Message----- From: Dave Bahr
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:46 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: audio restoration software

Hi list,

I am purposefully going to ask a fairly vague question because I'd
really like to hear multiple opinions and suggestions. I'm wondering if
anyone here is involved in restoring78s and lps through software, and if
so, what software do you use and how accessible do you find it? Allow me
to elaborate on my current setup if you don't mind.

I am presently using goldwave the most but have tried audition and
soundforge. I know that jfw has scripts for sound forge but am a
window-eyes user. As far as audition is concerned, I can't figure out a
way to navigate vst plugins which audition seems to rely heavily on. So
goldwave works well and is pretty accessible. But I need more powerful
filters than the program will allow. I know that there is a pc version
of protools but that is, from what I understand, for sequencing and
creating music, not restoring it. I don't know what the pro people use,
I'm thinking of the late John R. Davies of jsp  records here, they might
still use analogue methods for all I know.

So, thoughts and discussion is encouraged on this one, I'm interested to
see what people have to say. I realize that a lot of the process has a
lot to do with finding the best source material available, i'm thinking
Mosaic Records and their ability to make the recordings of Bix
Beiderbecke into fantastically rich works of art. However, unless you
have fantastic connections, it's hard to get into the columbia or victor
vaults and use the metal masters and, in the case of paramount records
and dial, they don't exist. So, bring it on, and if anyone is interested
in discussing this with me off list, feel free to email me. I am just
eager to learn.