That's a difficult question. I have not used the Zoom recorder, so I can't
comment on it.

As to which is better, the DM-520 or the Ls-7:
In my opinion, the button configuration and the case are better with the
DM-520. The audio quality on the dm-520 is unquestionably good.
The case, with its kickstand and flap that you can open, is far superior to
the sleeve case for the LS-7.

The sound quality on the LS-7 is better -- fuller, even more life-like.
There is a variable low-cut filter that, if you set it to 100Hz, does cut
down on wind noise if you're making outside recordings.
The central mic does improve the sound quality. And you can put up to a 32GB
SDHC card in the LS-7.

It's a tough call. If you've been happy with the Dm-5, I'd go with that --
although, at least a couple of days ago, the LS-7 was cheaper on amazon.
It all depends on what your wife plans to use the recorder for.
Ironically, the crappy case on the LS-7 is a major drawback; there is no
belt clip or kickstand, and you can't fold down the top flap while keeping
the recorder in its case.

Hope this helps.

John Riehl