Hi Danny, it's certainly possible, I do the Mosen Explosion on Mushroom FM
every week this way. I use a tiny Toshiba Portige R600, there are newer
replacement models now, I think the R800 may be out. My wife has a
compatible laptop, so in the studio, we have a docking station/port
replicator. Connected to that is the hard drive containing all the music and
other elements, and the external sound card, an Edirol UA1-EX. We also use
an external keyboard.

The Edirol sound card goes in and out of the broadcast console. It's a
pretty no frills kind of card, but it was easy to set up and it sounds
great. I suspect that too, will have been superseded by a newer model by
now.

That said, you can use StationPlaylist Studio on a laptop with a good
quality USB microphone, and Studio's own audio pipeline. that is a much
simpler set-up, and can still give good results. So really the key thing is
to determine whether you want a hardware mixer in the picture or not. In
most cases, with a good microphone, there may not be a need for one anymore
and I have successfully broadcast via WiFi or 3G from all sorts of
locations.

This is an additional advantage of having everything on a laptop. You can
take it with you and broadcast from cool places.

Jonathan