Dave,

these might sound like common sense suggestions but I was thinking nearly the exact same thoughts you were. I know that there are some mics that are omnidirectional and they might be from iriver? But just a voice mic isn't horribly expensive, well unless you want like a pa mic I suppose.

as for using the ipod, well, I'd imagine there's some ap out there that would be a sound recorder. I would post to the viphone list because they'd have answers about accessability of things like that. I'm a very new iphone user myself so I wish I could provide more help than this letter.

Dave c. bahr