To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:45 AM
Subject: Re: Help needed with last.fm

Brett Boyer wrote:
Ok cool. So can you give me aquick breakdown on the difference between the two?

No problem. Spotify is purely designed and marketed as a music streaming and playback service. Not only can you play tracks, albums or discographies from their vast online library, but you can also add your own local music collection and use it as your media player. It has features such as playlist management, the ability to queue tracks, a crossfader, etcetera, as well as the ability to
scrobble to Last.fm.

In contrast, Last.fm is, at its core, a music recommendation and statistics
service and social network for music lovers.  As I wrote about in my last
message, you can't choose to play a full album or specific tracks on-demand as
you can with Spotify.  Last.fm's library of streamable tracks is also much
smaller, however it's database of artists, albums, songs, genres, tags and music events is huge and that's why it works so well. Unlike Pandora, everything is user-contributed, so the more songs get scrobbled and the more users use the
service, to more data they have to work with.

Hope that helps.
--
James Scholes
http://twitter.com/JamesScholes