iTunes leaves your original WMA file alone. I haven't done this myself, but I found this on the web page http://www.apple.com/findouthow/music/itunes.html#management-convertwma

Since WMA is a MS proprietary format, requiring Apple to pay MS a license, I'm surprised they do anything with WMA files at all.

On 12/30/2012 06:46 PM, Robert Logue wrote:
A bit of ranting here.  Sorry about that.

Does Itunes replace or make copies of files it converts from wma to aac?
I've searched the web for this answer but did not find out.  Hope
someone here knows.

I just installed the latest Itunes.  I wanted to add music from another
drive using add folder to library.

iTunes
One or more of the songs you are adding to iTunes, including “01 graphic
870  Rubber Bullets [Long Version].wma”, are in the WMA format.
iTunes will automatically convert them to the AAC format so that
they can be added to your iTunes library.
Convert Skip

I accidently hit escape twice when leaving  the Jaws virtual viewer and
missed being able to hit the skip button.  Itunes started processing the
library even though I pressed escape?  I don't know if it was skipping
or processing all those .wma files.  Looks like it didn't start
converting because there were no .aac files found in the folder when I
looked with Windows Explorer search.

I'd thought I'd forgotton to turn on restore previous versions for that
drive after reinstalling Windows 7. I couldn't find a previous version
for the folder.  However, I did find previous versions in the drive's
properties.

I searched for all .aac files on my system and only found one very old.
  I right clicked and open with which was not a menu but opened a dialog
that was hard to work with Jaws.  I finally got it to see Itunes but
accidently hit enter before unchecking always use this program to open
this type.  Itunes didn't open.  Now when I right click that file the
open with is a sub menu with Windows Media Player and Itunes in it. Also
choose default program.  So, I screwed up once again.  Makes a grown man
weap!

I can't believe they would make it hard to import wma files.  I have so
many I don't want to convert.  I'll have to back them up first.  I hate
software that makes me choose without preperation.

Itunes already sucks!

Can't I keep Itunes from damaging or changing my origenal wma files? If
I check this; Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library,
will it make converted copies and place them in the Itunes folder
leaving the origenal wma files in their place?

Advanced Preferences
iTunes Media folder location
C:\Users\Robert Logue\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media Change...
Reset
Keep iTunes Media folder organized
Places files into album and artist folders, and names the files based on
the disc number, track number, and the song title.
Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail