I haven't found a setting for how they are converted. The dialog said they would convert to .aac. But they convert to .m4a instead. I know I can look this up but is that even the same?

Bob

On 12/31/2012 12:33 AM, André van Deventer wrote:
Just wondering something else about this.

I converted my music library to itunes but for some reason  the wma lossless
format is converted to 256 kbps m4a files.  Not nice at all.  Is there a
setting somewhere which I can tell itunes to do the conversion to lossless
format?

-----Original Message-----
From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of
Christopher Chaltain
Sent: 31 December 2012 04:57 AM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: Does Itunes replace or make copies of files it converts from
wma to aac?

iTunes leaves your original WMA file alone. I haven't done this myself, but
I found this on the web page
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/music/itunes.html#management-convertwma

Since WMA is a MS proprietary format, requiring Apple to pay MS a license,
I'm surprised they do anything with WMA files at all.