I've been ripping my LPs, open reels, and cassettes to .wav files using
GoldWave.  The volume level of the resulting files vary by quite a bit.  I
can't get an idea of just how much until I finish editing and convert them to
mp3 files.  I then use MP3Gain to get them to the level I want.  Not really
understanding the measure of level in decabels, I just make them all 94 which
sounds ok to me and is close to how loud my JAWS with Eloquence talks.

I'm wondering if there's a way that I can tell earlier in the process if I need
to raise or lower the recording level in GoldWave?

Any suggestions?  Thank you.
Howard