Hi Howard

I’ve been putting my CD collection onto an external hard drive using CDEx and found a set I bought that is heavily protected and will not allow this. The discs will play in a non-pc CD player but not on any computer player, so the intention is to hook a CD player up to the PC sound card and add the CD's to the hard drive that way as we did when transferring the cassette and vinyl collections. I used Magic Audio Lab for this then but no longer have that software, even if I did it may not be compatible with Win 7 anyway so the intention was to use Goldwave. Except I don’t know how, seeing your post tells me you obviously do so could you give me a quick tutorial on how it is to be done, please.

Many thanks Roger

-----Original Message----- From: Howard Traxler
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:42 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Recording level in GoldWave

I've been ripping my LPs, open reels, and cassettes to .wav files using GoldWave. The volume level of the resulting files vary by quite a bit. I can't get an idea of just how much until I finish editing and convert them to mp3 files. I then use MP3Gain to get them to the level I want. Not really understanding the measure of level in decabels, I just make them all 94 which sounds ok to me and is close to how loud my JAWS with Eloquence talks.

I'm wondering if there's a way that I can tell earlier in the process if I need to raise or lower the recording level in GoldWave?

Any suggestions?  Thank you.
Howard