Dale,

Use Audition's noise reduction process.  It has been a while since I used
Audition 1.5, but I used it a lot at one time, and its noise reduction works
pretty well.  Even if there are some crackles and pops, I am
guessing that the noise is fairly constant which is more what the noise
reduction process is for.  You will have to experiment some to get the best
results possible, but you might be able to get something
worthwhile.  The noise reduction process requires that you capture a bit of
noise only that it can use to compare with your recording to remove.  This
means you need to find a relatively silent place and use
that.  Unfortunately, my muddled mind now doesn't remember how it works in
Audition as opposed to Sound Forge, so if you can't figure it out you may have
to remind me what options you have.  There are
several settings you need to play with as well to see what effect they have.
One thing you might want to to do is to set the FFT value to a high value
before you capture the noise sample.  It seems to me that
the sample has to be using the same FFT value.  Generally, the higher the
value, the longer the process takes but the fewer digital artifacts result.  I
believe the FFT value was in a combo box and it tends to be
expressed in powers of 2.  I think 4096 or 8192 are pretty good values.

Once you have the noise sample, you can mark part of the recording and preview
your noise reduction with different values.  It is almost certain that you can
get rid of a lot of the noise.  What is not certain is
how badly it may affect the remaining sound.  Only you can judge what is
acceptable.  Usually, one finds that rather than shooting for the miracle cure,
one is best off getting rid of some noise and leaving some
noise along with a more intact recording.

As I recall, the Audition help file describes the settings pretty well, but it
assumes some knowledge so I remember I had to read it a few times before it
made sense.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson