I recently bought a Toshiba 17-inch laptop with 8GB of memory and a 500GB hard
drive with Windows 8.1 installed.  I am operating it with a wireless
USB-coupled keyboard, so it behaves to me virtually as a desktop machine.  I
bought a middle-of-the-line three-piece set of "Windows" speakers from Radio
Shack, and I have turned the "bass volume control" on the "subwoofer" to max;
but the system does not deliver a very good bass response using the Windows
Media Ap of Windows 8.1.  I have not tried to play music through my
good-quality home stereo, but I have used a pair of headphones which gave only
fair bass output.  I wonder whether WinAmp or some other piece of software
would sound better on the laptop (I know of course that the built-in laptop
speakers won't sound much better than the $19.95 pocket transistor radios we
used to find).  I have also considered teh possibility of getting another
soundcard or something to couple by USB or BlueTooth for playing music.  This
setup would probably buy me another advantage:  I could perhaps route music
through that "box" and Window-Eyes speech through the Toshiba's built-in
soundcard.  I will appreciate any advice any of you might have.

Thanks.

David Plumlee