Greetings,

If you insert cue-points, when you close the file you will be asked do you
want to save it because it has been changed?  If you save in .wav and I'm
not sure what other formats, the cue-points are save in the file, otherwise
you are invited to save them in a file, located along with your audio file
i.e in the same location, with the same name but the extension .cue then, I
assume as I've never taken this action, whenever the file is opened from
this folder, the .cue needs be opened at the same time or maybe it will
automatically be imported, not performed this therefore I'm only guessing.

Of course, if the cue-points are stored such as may be in a .wav file, you
get them when opening.

what are cue-points for?

Cue-points enable files to be split into, say, tracks for burning onto a cd.
To make sure this works properly, you must at the start of the file put a
cue-point then the function knows the start of track 1.  Also, once a
cue-point is used, any edits may only be carried out following the last
cue-point, i.e nothing between cue-points.  You do not have to put a
cue-point at the end of a file, the final point denotes the start of the
final track.

On my system, splitting the file into tracks will use the current file
attributes such as format and sampling rate, you can set these as you desire
but remember, do not try and increase from an already low sampling rate, you
cannot improve but rather if .wav stay with the original, if .mp3 (and
probably other formats) go the same, lower, not higher.

After splitting, the original file remains with it's markers.