Hi.

2010/6/1 Martin Paul <mar...@par.univie.ac.at>

> The problem with some fields is that the possible values are of very
> different length. As I want to keep a fixed format (column X always is Y
> chars wide) for easier post-processing, I have to use the maximum width.
> This would make output for the "architecture" column look pretty ugly, for
> example.

Hm. Easier post processing? For that, I wouldn't insist on fixed
width. If you have a good "seperator" (like | or , or ! or whatever),
then post processing even with variable width is very easy, both
with "external" tools like cut/awk or even just bash (IFS).

You know, kinda like:

pca .... | while IFS=\! read fieldA fieldB fC fD andSoOn; do
  echo $fC
done

or

pca ... | cut -d\! -f4

With fixed width, post processing isn't easier (but also not harder,
of course *G*). It just LOOKS nicer, but if you're after post processing,
the looks aren't that important, I'd say.

Alexander
--
↯    Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣ http://alexs77.soup.io/     ↯
↯ Chat (Jabber/Google Talk) ↣ a.sk...@gmail.com , AIM: alexws77  ↯