Craig Bell wrote:
Hello all - I recently ran into an issue using pca(8) with zones and $TMPDIR.
Have you seen this before?

Not me. I have only minimal experience with patch zones (and zones in general). So I can only comment on this sub-question:

Alternate theory:  I recall years ago (probably on 5.8) that patchadd invoked
certain sub-commands as EUID "nobody", and occasionally I would see the odd
failure when my current working directory was only accessible by root.  Maybe
this is something similar to that.

This problem still exists in Solaris 10 9/10, but the error looks different than in your example:

# pwd
/tmp/patch
# ls -la
total 352
drwx------   3 root     root         253 Feb  3 09:32 .
drwxrwxrwt   7 root     sys         1300 Feb  3 09:33 ..
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         726 Nov 30 23:28 146279-01
# patchadd 146279-01
Validating patches...

Done!

Done!

Checking patches that you specified for installation.

Done!

Approved patches will be installed in this order:

146279-01

Checking installed patches...
Executing prepatch script...

Patch 146279-01 failed to install due to a failure produced by pkgadd.

See /var/sadm/patch/146279-01/log for details

Patchadd is terminating.
# cat /var/sadm/patch/146279-01/log

This appears to be an attempt to install the same architecture and
version of a package which is already installed.  This installation
will attempt to overwrite this package.

/tmp/patch/146279-01/SUNWbnuu/install/checkinstall: /tmp/patch/146279-01/SUNWbnuu/install/checkinstall: cannot open
pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully
Dryrun complete.
No changes were made to the system.
#

Martin.