On 9/5/17 10:35, Julien Meuric wrote:
Hi Ramon,

Indeed, the I-D used to consider an error for this case, but RFC 5440
gives the pace and 2 codepoints were allocated:
- PCErr are associated to PCEP issues ("when a protocol error condition
is met or when the request is not compliant with the PCEP specification");
- PCNtf are typically used for other cases, including PCE state (e.g.
overload) and policy (e.g. threshold).

Please note also that the current (orphan) text of the I-D allows to use
the PCNtf for "Exiting resource limit exceeded state". I am not saying
the latter should be kept, but considering this option sustains the idea
of having 2 possible messages/behaviors in PCEP.

Hi Julien,

This is indeed making me raise more questions than expected.

- Reading the section I got the feeling that any event preventing to reach full sync state caused a PCErr (now PCNtf) and a MUST session close. was it the intent?

- As a minor comment, I see your point on the PCErr / PCNtf "macroscopic use", although I would humbly object, notably in view of the whole PCErr 5: policy violation, that includes cases such as "global concurrent optimization not allowed" or "objective function not allowed" so, while I can agree with your view, IMHO it is not black/white.
In particular, I think you are not fully quoting RFC5440

   The PCEP Error message (also referred to as a PCErr message) is sent
   in several situations: when a protocol error condition is met or when
   the request is not compliant with the PCEP specification (e.g.,
   reception of a malformed message, reception of a message with a
   mandatory missing object, policy violation, unexpected message,
   unknown request reference)

It seems to me that policiy violation is a PCErr. However, the main question is:

- Is not reaching full sync considered a protocol error? (for whatever reason, and beyond a single message exchange but more as a transactional thing/sequence) If yes, I would vote for a PCErr / MUST close

- If it is not an error (I am not fully aware of the implications) then we should allow PCNtf + MAY leave it open. Otherwise, my view remains PCErr + MUST close.

Thanks!
Ramon