Hi,

Having arrived to the PCEverse later than most of you, I must say my impression
is exactly the same. I remember asking my colleagues who were already involved
why we were not using the term SDN when it became common and, in fact,
referencing our PCE implementation in the list of our SDN projects.

As Adrian says, the question is what do we want to be able to do with this
"recently discovered” SDN protocol...

Be goode,

On 20 Jul 2017, at 21:58 , Adrian Farrel
<adr...@olddog.co.uk<mailto:adr...@olddog.co.uk>> wrote:

Hi,

Ramon's last line for me is the core of the argument.

> IMHO, with the stateful PCE work we already went beyond the basic
> path computation service.

You might recall (if you are old and carry a grudge) that I was not an
enthusiast for stateful active PCE (i.e., PCInitiate), but like the good
soldier I am, I bowed to IETF consensus and PCE is what it is. More
importantly, PCEP is what it is.

IM(not-very)HO we have already crossed the line and PCEP *is* an SDN controller
(southbound) protocol.

Now the question is: what do we want to be able to do with it?

Obviously, as editor of draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control, I support PCE-CC.
As discussed in the meeting, I'm not so happy with the mechanisms in the
current solutions drafts. This is because I believe we can actually do (or
almost do) most of the function with existing messages and objects. But that is
a question of detail, not principle.

I would argue that this PCE-CC function doesn't "replace" RSVP-TE, but rather
it replaces other configuration or SDN southbound protocols.

Cheers,
Adrian