From: Adrian Farrel [mailto:adr...@olddog.co.uk]
Sent: 21 July 2017 19:55
To: Jonathan Hardwick <jonathan.hardw...@metaswitch.com>; pce@ietf.org;
draft-ietf-pce-lsp-setup-t...@ietf.org; draft-ietf-pce-segment-rout...@ietf.org
Cc: pce-cha...@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Pce] Can we make a non-backwards compatible change to
draft-ietf-pce-lsp-setup-type?

Well, personally, if I was designing this, I would not a whole TLV for each bit
flag!
I would have a Setup-Type TLV.
If that TLV is absent, RSVP-TE is supported.
If the TLV is present, each bit means that a different setup type is supported.

That means...
Legacy nodes don't include the TLV and are assumed to support RSVP-TE
Legacy nodes that receive the TLV don't know what it means and so object to the
Open (leaving a new node to re-Open for RSVP-TE only).
New nodes include the TLV and so indicate explicitly what they support.

I know it is late for that type of change, so how we proceed might depend on
what implementations have done already.

Adrian