Hi Aijun,

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 11:54 AM Aijun Wang <wangai...@tsinghua.org.cn>
wrote:

> Hi, Dhruv:
> It’s possible to use variable length, but most of the flag field are fixed
> size, because this field needs to be compared in bits. Align them with the
> same width will be more easier.

The MSB bit is marked as zero and will be allocated in that order by the
IANA. The check for a specific bit is not overly complicated because of the
variable length of the TLV.

> Even with your mentioned examples, the used flags are only 16bits until
> now(16 years past since RFC5088 published).
>
> The reason that I raised this concern is that I have not imaged another
> 32bit flag need to be defined for LSP, regardless of the length as 64 or
> more longer.

Yes, most likely the implementation will use length = 4 for a long time
while sending but will be prepared to receive length as 4*n and simply
ignore all bits that are unassigned.

> And for the variable length flag, there need to be more error
> considerations in the future bit-defined document. For example, if you
> define bit 35, you should consider the error that the length of received
> LSP-EXTENDED-FLAG is only 4(32bit), and describes the mismatch reason in
> the error information?

Nope, it would not be an error, this would fall under handling backward
compatibility - i.e. what happens when the peer does not support the new
features and send the TLV with L=4, the receiving peer would consider the
bits beyond 32 to be unset.

This is the same behavior if one party understands/supports more flags than
the other, even when L=4 for both.

> Until now, I have not seen which defined flag has exceeds the 32bit. If
> there is enough necessary to do so, I don’t object, but currently I don’t
> see the image, why don’t we keep the thing simple.
>
> And, I support the forwarding of this draft. The current flag field has no
> room for further extension.

Of course, fixed-length is simpler, but variable length is not overly
complex. Implementation knows how to handle this already.

But if the WG disagrees, I am happy to be in the rough to make progress!

Thanks!
Dhruv (continue to speak as a WG member)