Hi Dhruv and Aijun,

Thanks for your review and discussion!
In my veiw,  32 bits (seems good enough at the present)  and  variable-length (
if more bits are ever needed) are both OK to the LSP-EXTENDED-FLAG.
I suggest to keep in consistency with the existing RFC such as RFC5088.
I am also happy to get the feedback from others in PCE WG.

Best Regards,
Quan

>Hi Aijun, >On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 11:54 AM Aijun Wang
>"><wangai...@tsinghua.org.cn>wrote: > Hi, Dhruv: > It’s possible to use
>variable length, but most of the flag field are fixed > size, because this
>field needs to be compared in bits. Align them with the > same width will be
>more easier. > >The MSB bit is marked as zero and will be allocated in that
>order by the >IANA. The check for a specific bit is not overly complicated
>because of the >variable length of the TLV. > Even with your mentioned
>examples, the used flags are only 16bits until > now(16 years past since
>RFC5088 published). > > The reason that I raised this concern is that I have
>not imaged another > 32bit flag need to be defined for LSP, regardless of the
>length as 64 or > more longer. > > >Yes, most likely the implementation will
>use length = 4 for a long time >while sending but will be prepared to receive
>length as 4*n and simply >ignore all bits that are unassigned. > And for the
>variable length flag, there need t
 o be more error > considerations in the future bit-defined document. For
example, if you > define bit 35, you should consider the error that the length
of received > LSP-EXTENDED-FLAG is only 4(32bit), and describes the mismatch
reason in > the error information? > > >Nope, it would not be an error, this
would fall under handling backward >compatibility - i.e. what happens when the
peer does not support the new >features and send the TLV with L=4, the
receiving peer would consider the >bits beyond 32 to be unset. >This is the
same behavior if one party understands/supports more flags than >the other,
even when L=4 for both. > Until now, I have not seen which defined flag has
exceeds the 32bit. If > there is enough necessary to do so, I don’t object, but
currently I don’t > see the image, why don’t we keep the thing simple. > > And,
I support the forwarding of this draft. The current flag field has no > room
for further extension. > > >Of course, fixed-length is simpler, but va
 riable length is not overly >complex. Implem!
 entation knows how to handle this already. >But if the WG disagrees, I am
happy to be in the rough to make progress! >Thanks! >Dhruv (continue to speak
as a WG member) > > Aijun Wang > China Telecom > > On May 12, 2022, at 11:59,
Dhruv Dhody "><d...@dhruvdhody.com> wrote: > > > Hi Aijun, > > As a WG
member... > > On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 6:58 AM Aijun Wang
"><wangai...@tsinghua.org.cn>> wrote: > >> Hi, Dhruv and Quan: >> Is there any
reason to define the extended flag in variable length? >> > > The aim was to
fix it once and not worry about running out of flags ever > again. > Moreover,
there is a precedence of this technique in the context of PCE, > so the
implementations already handle these cases well. > >
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5088.html#section-4.5>
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5089.html#section-4.5> > > >> Should it be
more reasonable that just define one 32 bit extended flag >> and if necessary,
define another extended flag TLV? >> > > Yes, it can be done that
  way. Is it more reasonable? That is debatable... > Open to feedback from the
WG. > > > >> And, as I read section 3.2: >>
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-flags-02.html#section-3.2>>
 “…. … >> If a PCEP speaker receives the LSP-EXTENDED-FLAG TLV of a length less
>> than the one supported by the implementation, it will consider the bits >>
beyond the length to be unset. >> … ….” >> >> Will the above  lead to
misbehavior in some situations? >> >> > A (TLV L=8) ------ B (TLV L=4) > When A
receives an LSP-EXTENDED-FLAG TLV with Length = 4, even though it >
understands/supports more flags than 32, it considers that those other > flags
are unset for B. > When B receives an LSP-EXTENDED-FLAG TLV with Length = 8,
since B only > understands limited bits, it considers all the other ones as
unassigned and > ignores them. > > Note that this behavior is similar to how
considering A supports 10 flags > and B supports 3 flags would be handled even
though the L
 =4 for both. > > What am I missing? > > Anyway, I rec!
 ommend the fixed length(then the length field is unnecessary) >> and clear
description/usages of each bit of the flag. >> >> > This document creates the
TLV and a registry. The actual bits and their > usage belong in other
documents. > > Thanks! > Dhruv (as a WG member) > > > >> Aijun Wang >> China
Telecom >> >> On May 11, 2022, at 21:28, Dhruv Dhody "><d...@dhruvdhody.com>
wrote: >> >> >> Hi WG, >> >> This email starts a 2-weeks working group last
call for >> draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-flags-02 [1]. >> >> Please indicate
your support or concern for this draft. If you are >> opposed to the
progression of the draft to RFC, please articulate your >> concern. If you
support it, please indicate that you have read the latest >> version and it is
ready for publication in your opinion. As always, review >> comments and nits
are most welcome. >> >> The WG LC will end on Wednesday 25th May 2022. >> >> A
general reminder to the WG to be more vocal during the >> last-call/adoption
and help u
 s unclog our queues :) >> >> Thanks, >> Dhruv & Julien >> >> [1]
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-flags/>>
[Pce] WGLC for draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-flags-…  Dhruv Dhody
Re: [Pce] WGLC for draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-fl…  Aijun Wang
Re: [Pce] WGLC for draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-fl…  Dhruv Dhody