At 5:10 PM +0100 01/23/2006, Peter Udbjørg top posted, the "CD Burning problems" thread:
Makes me wonder if my G3 Gossamers' difficulties in reading anyhing but pure mac OS std-cd's could be something of the same?

Dirt is a possibility, but there are also basic UDF support issues (below).

All my other elderly macs read UDFs & MacOS ext w/o problems. I have to use my external burner to read my own UDFs (a disk format that my brand new G4 powerbook cannot read either!!!), thus I am slowly recopying the UDFs to MacOS std.

Various versions of UDF used in the market:
    * V1.0.2 - Basic file system used by DVD-Video discs
    * V1.5   - Support for CD-R and CD-RW drives and media
    * V2.0   - Support for NT streaming
    * V2.0.1 - Support for Video Recording (VOR) Files

In the classic Mac OS, Apple supported UDF 1.0.2 with their "UDF Volume Access" extension. Adaptec enhanced this with their free "Adaptec UDF Volume Access" extension, which fully supports UDF 1.5. Many full burning packages included support for UDF 2.

UDF support in Mac OS X is, well, stone age. There is some minimal low-performance support for UDF 1.0.2 in updated Jaguar/Panther/Tiger. Apple has made a feeble attempt to improve UDF support in Tiger, but it's still buggy, slow, and embarressingly behind the PC world. There are some not-free 3rd party packages that support UDF 1.5 and 2, but they're not very good quality either.

Bottom line: As I was told by a guy at Apple's genius bar last week, and again by phone support -- for advanced UDF operations, it's best to use a PC. "advanced" == reading all those UDF discs that work fine in OS 9 but can't be read in OS X.

- Dan.

 --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:pci-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Archive:<http://www.mail-archive.com/pci-powermacs%40mail.maclaunch.com/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal