Always disable any auto updates for any software.  For one, I
don't like any 'ware constantly communicating "home" about
everything you're doing with it.  Adobe, like most others, are
notorious for screwing up their software with updates.  If it
ain't broke, don't fix it.  (I see now Ben also said something
to that effect).  v6+ is better than previous due to the new
features, but takes up GOBS of memory, and what really ticks me
off about it is every time you open a PDF file, even after you
close it the program keeps running and sucks up 30mb+ of
memory.

I only update mine (or any other 'ware) if I'm having some kind
of issue with it displaying certain characters or if it says
some update is required to "display the file correctly".

To expand on what Ben said: also try the "Advanced" button
under Permissions and look for options there.  Sometimes you
can only access certain keys while logged in on XP as the FULL
admin.

Regarding your "PS", just go under "File" then you'll see the
batch conversion.  I wouldn't mess around with that though
because it's possible Windows will only see bitmap files for
certain things.  There's also the possibility and probability
that you'd have to go through the registry and the "guts" of
software to change every path to reflect jpg extensions where
bmp extensions were previously used.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner