I've heard a lot about this, but have never seen it.
Just Google "Bulging Capacitors", and you'll get a lot of info, such as this:

I've had mixed luck with Emachines, who had a bad rep for a while, but allegedly they cleaned up their act.

Larry wrote:
I now have 3 of this model with same symptom.
dead but power supply is ok.
it seems to be the mother board, and about 5 caps near the CPU have the tops bulged.
this must be a common problem.
does anyone know what goes bad on this board?

larry