On Aug 16, 2009, at 10:46 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

So there has been a revived discussion of adding "tooltip" support to inlets/outlets, based on Günter's old patch. I think we should open up the discussion again to see if we can come up with a solution that Miller would accept. I believe his original objection was based on the fact that the patch added a record to the t_class struct. So I was thinking that instead of storing the tooltip data in t_class, it could be stored using a custom struct like t_inletdescription that was then added to object's class.

so the new objection will be based on the fact that the patch added a record to the t_class struct?... i mean, this struct doesn't make any difference with the original objection.

Do you have a record of the original objection? I am just operating on memory.

.hc

I guess the advantage of putting it into t_class is that there would only be one copy of it.

Indeed.

That makes sense since every instance should need the same data.

Why does this make sense? I mean, how can you actually tell that every instance should need the same data?