On Dec 2, 2010, at 3:11 PM, Bryan Jurish wrote:

morning all,

On 2010-12-02 20:18:45, Hans-Christoph Steiner <h...@at.or.at> appears
to have written:
On 2010-12-01 23:56, Albert Graef wrote:
IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
This is only a convention, of course, but it's part of the GNU Coding
Standards

i think the curcial part is:
"If there are C compiler options that must be used for proper
compilation of certain files, do not include them in CFLAGS. Users
expect to be able to specify CFLAGS freely themselves."

and i think this can also be extrapolated for any of the standard flags
(CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS)

So what do you propose?

Maybe I'm misreading this thread, but wasn't there something like:
something like 'PD_LDFLAGS="-Wl,--export-dynamic -shared $ (LDFLAGS)"'
and then consequently using $(PD_LDFLAGS) in the linking stage?

in IOhannes' original posting? Use of a dedicated internal variable has a lot of precedents (e.g. automake's use of AM_CFLAGS etc.), and should
in fact be *more* robust than the status quo...

I for one am really sick of build system
stuff. What we have works quite well on many platform, but yes, its not
perfect.  About changes to the template Makefile, last time
[snip]

Easy does it... please step away from any sharp objects or small furry
animals for a moment... OK, now: bugs happen.  I read this thread
primarily as an attempt to ensure that *fewer* bugs happen in the
future, and I think replacing non-standard uses of standard *FLAGS
variables in any build system is a worthwhile endeavor in that respect.

Sorry for the complaint, the bug in question cost me a full day of time re-doing really unfun stuff. That's a full day of my free, unpaid time. Code has bugs, therefore it needs testing, that's all I'm saying.

So I say take the template Makefile and go nuts with it, fix all the bugs add features, but do it in a branch, thoroughly test it, and then we take it from there.

.hc

@IOhannes: sorry about my bogus "+=" suggestion; posted without testing
it first :-/

marmosets,
        Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                       "There is *always* one more bug."
jur...@uni-potsdam.de       -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology