On Dec 3, 2010, at 5:03 AM, IOhannes zmölnig wrote:

On 12/02/2010 09:40 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

On Dec 2, 2010, at 3:11 PM, Bryan Jurish wrote:

Maybe I'm misreading this thread, but wasn't there something like:
something like 'PD_LDFLAGS="-Wl,--export-dynamic -shared $ (LDFLAGS)"'
and then consequently using $(PD_LDFLAGS) in the linking stage?

yes, this would be my suggestion.

Sorry for the complaint, the bug in question cost me a full day of time
re-doing really unfun stuff.  That's a full day of my free, unpaid
time. Code has bugs, therefore it needs testing, that's all I'm saying.

sure.
however, in order to properly test, it would be great to have a test
defined (even if it only was an instruction like, apply your changes to library X (because this uses feature A) and library Y (using feature A &
B), then run
$ make
$ make clean
$ make install
$ make uninstall
$ make install DESTDIR="/tmp"
$ make uninstall DESTDIR="/tmp"
$ make dist
and see if all this succeeds.

doing a "thorough test" on the template Makefile without having a test
defined, is probably taking more time then a full day (and yes, i do a
lot of work in my free unpaid time as well)

For the bug in question, we'd need a way to test for changes in which files are installed and included in the dist tarball. I guess the nightly build could log the file list and then a compare could be scripted. I haven't thought of a great way to do this.

So I say take the template Makefile and go nuts with it, fix all the
bugs add features, but do it in a branch, thoroughly test it, and then
we take it from there.

i switched the build-system of iem/syslog to my modded version of the
template Makefile and afaict, "everything" works:

https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/trunk/externals/iem/syslog/Makefile

"everything" excludes the 'uninstall' target (non-existant it seems) and
an unnecessary complicated procedure to install into
/usr/lib/pd/extra
(though i won't change that for now)

sidenote: in this makefile i am using ALL_*FLAGS rather than PD_*FLAGS; i have no opinion whatsoever on the exact prefix of the variables; ALL_* is "suggested" on the Gnu standards page, and PD_* being more "Pd" than
"Pd-external".

probably "PDEXT_" would be a proper prefix.

I like the ALL_ prefix as long as it really means "all", meaning something like this:

ALL_CFLAGS = $(INTERNAL_CFLAGS) $(X_CFLAGS) $(T_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS)

.hc